Weight Loss Surgery
Gastric Banding in Marion, KY
The gastric band is a medical device that can be adjusted, and is placed around the upper part of the stomach. The gastric band works to restrict how much you can eat. Unlike gastric bypass and gastric sleeve, the gastric band procedure involves no cutting our stapling of the stomach.
How does Gastric Banding Work?
Gastric banding is often preferred to other bariatric surgeries because it is minimally invasive. Dr. William Barnes will use a laparoscope to access the stomach and place the band around the stomach. Once the band is in place, we install an injection port with a small tube connected to the band so that adjustments can be made after the surgery. The saline level in the band can be adjusted through this injection port to control the rate at which food passes into the stomach.
Recovering from Gastric Band Surgery
- Gastric banding usually takes around 1-2 hours.
- Gastric banding typically has quicker recovery time than gastric bypass surgeries
- This may vary by case.
- Most people can return to work one week after surgery (depending on the job)
- There will be some pain after the gastric band surgery which is normal and will be controlled with medication prescribed by your doctor.
- It takes about 3-5 weeks to begin eating solid food again.
- After 6-8 weeks, you will feel as normal as you did before the surgery.
- Initially, weight loss will be drastic. (2-3 pounds per week.)
- Overtime that will decrease to about 1 pound per week.
- After 18 months, it will be expected that you’ve attained a safe and healthy weight.
- The majority of the weight loss will occur within the first year.
The band is meant to be long-term, but it can be removed if necessary at the discretion of you and Dr. William Barnes.
Band Fills and Adjustments
4-6 weeks after the surgery, you will begin doing adjustments, or fills, to your band with your doctor. This is approximately 1 week after you begin eating solid food again. Because of the injection port, adjustments don’t need additional surgery and only take 5-10 minutes. There is no set schedule for adjustments and depends on the conversation between you and your doctor.
Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery in Paducah, KY
For more information, call Dr. William Barnes at 270-988-3298 to schedule a consultation. Tri-Rivers Healthcare, PLLC performs a variety of weight loss surgeries, depending on the needs of the patient. Call today.